Ford Focus – tips for a new owner

David Artiss

David is the owner and main author of this website. Working as an IT Professional for 25 years and programming for far longer, he is a self-confessed geek and gadget fan. Overweight, glasses wearing and having a deep interest in science fiction and comic book heroes, he doesn't avoid the stereotype.

142 Responses

1. garry says:

i got a ford focus with built in sat nav and the maps need updated does any one no if i can get the dealer to update them through the warranty

2. K says:

If you YouTube how to replace your battery key you can do it yourself. I did it and I’m a girl! Haha! I am also having the aux not playing problem above. Any ideas?

3. Celia says:

Just bought a Nov 2013 Ford Focus titanium X diesel estate. Anyone know how to lower the driver and passenger front headrests please ? I have tried, but no success, and the manual does not give instructions for this. My former Focus Ghia diesel estate [2002] was wonderful in comparison. This all singing dancing technological disaster of a car can’t hold a candle to the former one !!! The seats are not half as comfortable as my former all leather ones either !!! The designers are so hooked on technology that they have ignored the comfort and space required to enjoy sitting in and driving a modern car. The tilted side bits of the seats are SO uncomfortable, making getting in and out a real effort if one is not 20 years of age. Shame on the designers lack of thought.

• paul says:

You need to pinch the round plastic clips that the headrest slides into on top of the seats. There is a lug to pinch in. Some of them seem to give people problems though.

4. David Parker says:

Hello, any idea how to upgrade the maps of navigation system? Thanks

• Paul says:

Yes, go to Ford and buy a new SD card. Sit down before they tell you the price. Best way is to go on eBay and buy a year old one for less than half the price. You must make sure you buy the correct one though as there are different types.

5. Peter Buck says:

Hi David, I have a 2011 Cmax Titainium 1.6d new shape.
    Sony radio fitted, now locks on DAB wave band with “no reception” showing.
    I have to go through the menu, or use voice control to get the radio back to FM or AM,
    where it then works perfectly.
    So nothing on DAB waveband as locked!
    Any ideas please?
    Bestist Peter

• Paul says:

This appears to be a common problem and mine has done it a couple of times. There are a number of possible solutions:-
      1. Leave it a few days and it will magically reset itself
      2. Pressing the scan button sometimes works
      3. Go to fusebox under glovebox and pull any relevant fuses (i think there are 2 which look good).

Number 3 worked for me.

In some cases it really has had it and Ford have to get a recon radio which takes weeks and will cost a fortune if out of warranty.

6. Diane Jarvis says:

Hi just wondering if someone can help me with a problem I have with my Ford Focus Titanium X 62 plate? Used to connect my iphone via the USB function in the AUX mode and was able to play my music no problem but then all of a sudden the AUX mode seem to freeze and stop working. The AUX button used to allow me to select the USB , bluetooth or Line In function which I also used with a lead to play my Ipod. However I am unable to play my music from my phone or Ipod now as when I press the AUX button it will not let me select any function to play my music and it is as if it has frozen as nothing shows up on the screen! I am wondering if maybe this is a fuse? If someone could advise I would be really grateful.
    Also another small problem is that my car informed me that the battery on my key was running low so no more that two months ago I took it to a Ford dealer and had the battery replaced which worked fine but now to my dismay the car is telling me that the battery in my key is low again! Does anyone know how long a battery in a key should last for as I would have thought that it should last for more than two months??
    If anyone could advise I would be really grateful.
    Diane

• Paul says:

Key battery usually lasts a year for me. I would suggest they have used an old battery so take it back. It is easy to do yourself.

While you are there ask about your radio whilst you still have some warranty!

7. David L says:

Is it possible to display current speed on sat nav? This is very useful in controlled areas as speedo inaccurate. Car is June 14 model.